stay the course. We cannot afford to squander the good work to date when our end goal is so close and within reach.
Next Monday, we will make the decision on whether or not we will move to alert level 2. That day represents the end of a two-week life-cycle, as it were—a period of transmission of the virus. We need every day between now and next Monday to know for sure that we succeeded in locking in the gains of level 4, recovered effectively in our waiting room of level 3, and are in the position to move down again and give New Zealanders back greater freedoms.
In making our decision, we will be assessing if there have been low to no cases for several days preceding. It will mean knowing where every new case over the past two weeks has come from. It will mean ongoing evidence and confidence of no widespread community transmission. So we need to not get ahead of ourselves, stick to our bubble, and to finish the job that we’ve started.
Related to this, the latest Google tracking data for the last weekend of our level 4 lockdown came out over the weekend. Overall, it shows we did exceptionally well and that, for the duration of lockdown, we maintained very consistent levels of low amounts of movement.
Trips to parks and places of recreation did experience an uptick in the last week, and that is something we need to keep an eye on at level 3—just in terms of, when we are out and about, maintaining physical distancing. However, we did better than many other countries we compare ourselves to, and the ongoing commitment to physical distancing and staying at home has no doubt been the biggest contributor to our rapid drop in cases at level 4. Your efforts, New Zealand, have put us at the front of the pack, and everyone should feel very proud of that.
Cabinet today discussed what alert level 2 would look like in the event that we move there and when we’re ready to move there. I’ll share those details with you on Thursday, once the guidance has been fully written up and we can clearly communicate that to the public and to businesses. This will provide clarity and certainty and give people time to prepare. Please note, though, as with our previous process, no decision has been made on moving out of alert level 3 at this stage. As we’ve done previously, you will receive clear guidance and clear signalling before any such move.
In the meantime, the Government is well advanced in our plans to get New Zealand moving and grow in the wake of COVID-19. Central to those plans is the Budget in 10 days’ time. Our hard and early health response to fight COVID-19 has opened up economic opportunities. Now, as we get the economy moving again, we look to both domestic and international opportunities to make the most of the head start New Zealand has with its recovery. But I need to warn you: the Budget will continue the Government’s careful and balanced approach to running the books. With decreased revenue and the Government taking on extra debt, we are being very careful to ensure that every dollar spent helps create jobs and sets us on a path to our country rebuilding better. The finance Minister will have more to say on this in his pre-Budget speech this Thursday.
One key aspect of our plan to get New Zealand moving is the work on the trans-Tasman bubble. Today, I can confirm that I’ve accepted Prime Minister Morrison’s invitation to participate via video link in the Australian National Cabinet meeting scheduled for tomorrow. The meeting will discuss a range of matters in relation to the COVID response on both sides of the Tasman, including the creation of a trans-Tasman travel bubble. I will update media on the meeting tomorrow—in fact, just after the meeting—but it is fair to say such a meeting is without precedent and highlights both what’s happened with the cooperation at a state level in Australia and then also the mutual importance of our two countries and economies to each other. Both our countries’ strong record on fighting the virus has placed us in the enviable position of being able to plan the next stage in our economic rebuild and to include trans-Tasman travel and engagement in our strategy.
On to the segment loosely called “Kiwi ingenuity”, I know that the biggest agricultural event in the Southern Hemisphere, our national Fieldays, is still hoping to go ahead later this year. And this is an incredibly welcome plan that they maintain, considering the economic shot in the arm it gives our rural services sector: more than half a billion dollars in sales last year, and the flow-on that has for our regional communities, $183 million for the Waikato alone. But, like many events across the country, they’re planning to host these again only when it is safe to do so, and so that work continues. But, in the meantime, that mid-June gap in the calendar will be filled with Fieldays online—a virtual event I know the Fieldays Society has been working on for some time, and one that can bring hundreds of exhibitors together, helping connect New Zealand and international companies at a time when our borders are closed. The world wants our quality food and fibre and, perhaps now more than ever, our high quality ideas as well.
OK, everyone, I’m happy to take your questions.